ITRM - International Oil Trading and Price Risk Management
Course Dates: 31st October - 2nd November 2016
Course fees: US$ 3,500 per person
Course fee offer for bookings before 1st September 2016
Invincible Energy has designed this course to give delegates a comprehensive understanding of international oil trading and price risk management from an Asian perspective. It is presented through the medium of a fictional trading company and all hedging and trading decisions will be taken by delegates in the market conditions prevailing at the time. Live market information will be provided through data feeds and daily price reports.
A range of practical hands on exercises will be performed in syndicate groups with comprehensive debriefs to study the consequences of the decisions made. The course expects a high degree of participation from delegates.
Introduction to trading and markets
Products Trading and Chartering
Mechanics of trading products
Comparing alternative outlets
Risks and Exposure
- Risks in trading
- Price Exposure
Risk Management Instruments
- Futures markets
- Forward markets
- OTC instruments
- Introduction to options
- Comparison of instruments
Risk Management Techniques
- Hedging with futures
- Hedging with swaps
- Spread trading
- Refinery margin management
Crude Oil Trading
- International pricing of crude oils
- Trading BFOE and DFL/CFDs
Performance and Credit
- Client/counterpark risk
- Negotiating a deal
- Writing a contract
- Legal issues
Management of trading activities
What will you learn?
- Negotiate, cost and compare deals
- Write a contract for the purchase and sale of crude oil and refined products.
- Calculate freight costs using Worldscale and charter a ship.
- Trade futures, Singapore swaps and forward markets for hedging and price risk management
- Calculate the profitability of deals
- Identify price risk and hedge
- Manage refinery margin risk
You will understand:
How prices on the international free markets are established and what influences the markets
- Crude oil and refined product pricing and trading
- Refined product pricing and trading
- How OTC markets trade
- Basic options theory
- Oil trade finance and documentation
- The basics of management control
Who Should Attend?
Anyone wishing to learn about physical and derivative trading and hedging. Anyone coming into trading from elsewhere in the industry. Those in supply and marketing functions looking for a wider understanding of the market; those in oil companies, banks, law firms, accountancy practices, the media and elsewhere who interface with traders and trading; those moving into oil markets from the financial markets or elsewhere.